Sunday, February 10, 2013

Caramelized Onions



This weekend, I made another big batch of caramelized onions.  I realized that I had blogged about them enough that they deserved their very own post.  Yes, I love caramelized onions!  I almost always have some in my fridge or freezer. 

It is a bit of a time commitment to make them, so make a bunch! 

Ingredients:
Yellow Onions (I usually will make 3-12 onions at a time)

I slice each onion in half - lengthwise.
Then slice each 1/2 round thinly and toss in a great bit pot. (I use a dutch oven)
Once you are finished slicing...at this point I am usually crying in my kitchen from the onions.
Drizzle olive oil over your onions and heat the pot to medium.  Stir every few minutes and cook on medium for 30 minutes.

Then reduce heat to med/low (about 3 on a 10 point heat scale).  Cook for another 30 minutes continuing to stir every few minutes.

After an hour of cooking the onions are nice and golden brown. 

Here are just a few of the recipes where I have used caramelized onions!

Rigatoni D
Caramelized Onion Gruyere Quiche
Garlic Onion Tortilla Stack

I'm sure there will be more to come.  After you make a big batch of caramelized onions, use the label section on the right side of my blog - click on "caramelized onions" label for recipes that use caramelized onions!

No comments:

Post a Comment